ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Reading Recovery Q's
View Single Post

Susan/IN

Old 02-28-2007, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Lisa,
I have been doing Reading Recovery since 2001 and most of the time I love it! I am a Title I teacher and so half of my day is spent working with small groups; the other half is spent doing Reading Recovery.
The training is quite strenuous for Reading Recovery and your district has to contract with a RR site to train you. The training is one afternoon/evening a week for the entire school year. Each session is 3 hours. You work with your students as you train. Generally, during training you work with 4 students, one on one. If you continue to do RR after your training year, you must sign up with a RR site to take continuing PD once a month during the day. It is quite expensive ($7000-7500 for your training year and around $700 for each year after you are actively teaching RR). It is not anything you can go out and do on your own- your district has to be the one that signs the agreement.

My frustration is that I am now the only one in our district teaching RR and so we are not fully implemented. I can't reach enough kids throughout the year and so it looks as though the program isn't very successful. But my building principal is 100% behind me and the program so that helps.

Hope this answers your questions.
Susan/IN
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net