ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Human body
Thread: Human body
View Single Post

salem

Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We only do the skeletal and muscular systems. One thing I did this year that turned out really well was to have the students make skeletons out of pasta. We do this unit in October around Halloween, so it goes along well with that!

You can go this website for more info and a picture:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/cra...pastaskeleton/

I gathered all the pasta and put all the pasta shapes on a paper plate in the middle of their tables. I then asked for suggestions as to which pasta they thought should be used for which part of the body. I modeled the skeleton form by putting the shapes on the overhead projector, which makes it show up really well!

They followed along with me and glued their shapes down onto black construction paper (the small size)--be sure to use Elmer's white glue, not a glue stick! They titled their papers "My Skeleton" and then they had to label the parts of the skeleton using a white pencil or crayon.

I am new to my school and 3rd grade this year, and several of the other teachers loved the result and used it with their classes--which I thought meant it must be good!

You can use the suggestions on the website and go to your grocery store and find other different pastas to use as well. I substituted a bow tie pasta for the pelvis rather than the two beans they used on the site. Spaghetti works well for the fingers and toes and the small elbow macaroni is great for the ribs.

The kids had fun doing this and it was a great assessment tool for me to use!
salem is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net