ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Overwhelmed is not even...
View Single Post

teacherinWA

Good Advice
Old 11-25-2011, 01:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A teacher who noticed I was overwhelmed with correcting papers told me it is my choice to give them that much work that needs to be corrected. Which is true. I have cut down because I figure if I just correct their work and we don't go through it probably isn't helping. If they are getting everything correct all the time it is too easy and I need to challenge them more.

I have decided that instead of just giving out worksheets and correcting them myself I would correct them with the class - that way we could go over our mistakes together and talk about the various strategies that we used. This works really well with math and I find it helps students. Plus they love coming up and sharing their thinking and teaching how they solved the problem.

Another thing I sometimes do is have a copy or two of the answer sheet and as students finish they can check their answers. This works well and sometimes I let some students check each others work or work together. They work in pairs or groups and it really helps when they can explain what they are doing to students that are having difficulty.

It does get easier and you learn new tricks and wonder how did I survive without that???
I love teaching third grade because they are starting to take on more responsibility for their own learning.

Just remember teaching is like anything else. The more you practice the better you get.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net