ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - VIP Kids advice needed
View Single Post

momabaarjo

Old 09-03-2019, 10:51 AM

I have taught for VIPKID now for almost 2 years and I love it...but things to be aware of:

1. The hiring process is lengthly and can be quite intimidating...even for seasoned teachers from the classroom...which often can hinder you because they have set things they want to see. I suggest watching all the getting hired videos you can on youtube and pick pieces from all the videos to use. Don't be discouraged if they ask you to do several mock classes before hiring.

2. You do not have to sign any committments at all. You can book as many classes as you can or as few classes. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TEACH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. I teach each weekday morning from 4 am to 6:30 am before I leave for school. I am blessed to only have a middle schooler left at home. I generally teach a split shift on the weekends... 12 to 3 am and then 5 to 8 am at least once a weekend or just the morning hours. I make around $1500 a month. In August I made $2500 because I had some major bills come up...kids in China were not back in school yet so I worked my weekend schedule as much as I could plus going back to my own classroom. I made $2000 in July even after taking 10 days off for a Disney Cruise paid by the extra VIPKID paycheck.

3. Your pay is not based on your experience, number of years taught or degree. It is only based on your initial interview and what you put down on paper for your resume. Highlight ESL as much as possible. My base started at $8.50 and with incentives I make $10.50 to $12.50 per class...or around $21-$25 an hour...not bad at all and I don't have to leave the house! I can also make a little more if I have trial classes and they sign up for the company.

4. You are not guaranteed any bookings...for most people they bookings come slowly and it might take months to get booked. I was lucky was was booked my first day I was hired. I was also willing for the first couple of months to open every open booking slot all weekend long until I became fully booked. It was HARD, but you have to get yourself out there.

5. It is truly the easiest and most fun teaching that I have ever done. You just need a few props (raid a child's toy box) and go...you do not plan anything you deliver the content that is on the slide for 25 minutes and then write feedback to parents.

6. Stay away from FB company page...the teachers there are whiners and complain about anything and everything...you are private contractor for a foriegn country...YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING, so learn that lesson right of the bat and you will be good. Too many think they can dictate to a company like an employee...nope you are contractor, they don't owe you anything. Personally, I have no complaints at all and the pay that I am getting is so worth it.

PM if you want to know anything more...and no, I do not recruit for the company...not something I am interested in nor do I want to do.
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net