ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - family literacy/read night- ideas help
View Single Post

Socks

Literacy Night
Old 06-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We had ours in October this year. The kids came back to school in the evening in their pj's. Each grade level was offering a different author. In second grade we did David Shannon. We read a story (How I Became a Pirate), did an activity (this is where the parents got involved), then each child got a David Shannon book (A Bad Case of the Stripes). Then we all met down in our dining room and the principal read everyone a picture book while we enjoyed juice and cookies. We have a scholastic warehouse two streets down from our school and we borrowed their Clifford costume. The little kids really LOVED this (K, 1, and young siblings mostly).

This setup was good for us because we could be very picky about which books we used and they were all appropriate for our grade level. I think first grade did Marc Brown, and I know fourth grade did Roald Dahl. I can't recall the authors the other grades did. It was very successful and lots of fun for the kids and their parents!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net