ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - family literacy/read night- ideas help
View Single Post

fun_friend

Old 06-13-2007, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My kids' elementary school has this kind of night. The kids arrive in pj's and everyone enjoys a light supper of hotdogs and chili. Then the pk-2 go to the media ctr and the 3-5 kids go to the gym. They are read to by guest readers books that are appropriate to their ages. I went in the room with the younger kids now for 2 years. This year the new superintendant read his fave book from childhood. Then an African American woman read a few books by African American authors (it took place during Black History celebrations). This lady was dressed in authentic kente cloth and was great at holding the kids' attention. Then a grandmotherly lady read to them. The kids were starting to get a little antsy about sitting still and being quiet. To culminate the evening, there was a small fire outside and an opportunity for the kids to roast marshmallows and drink cocoa. The fire dept. had a truck and the kids really enjoyed pretending to drive it.

Whatever you do, I hope you will remember that it is a school night and that moms and dads will want to get kids in bed at a reasonable time. I would try to end the activities no later than 8, but to start winding down even earlier.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net