ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Classroom to Title I
View Single Post

Susan/IN

Title I/LD
Old 04-01-2007, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went to a state Title I meeting a few weeks ago with my principal. Someone asked about paying for literacy coaches out of Title I and it was stated that Title could pay for that. But they may have been talking about a school wide program rather than targeted assisted. A rule of thumb is to remember that Title I is EXTRA; so if it's something for the whole school, then it's something that shouldn't be paid for out of Title I (at least that's what I understood them to say). Our district is discussing the possibility of literacy coaches; it could be that if we as a district don't hire literacy coaches, then as a Title I targeted assisted school, we might be able to hire a literacy coach for the primary grades. I just listen to the talk and try to keep in touch with what is going on. If you are interested in going back into Title I then you might want to talk with the Title I director before you make that decision. You might also talk with your principal. Does he/she make the classroom assignments? Perhaps the teachers think that with your background in Title I you are the best suited for the lower children. It could be that the principal, if going on teacher recommendations, doesn't realize how overloaded your classroom is.

I think you're right in saying that fewer children are going to be tested for special ed., especially with the push for RTI (Response to Intervention). Our district is planning on going to a 3 tier model and RTI will be very important. Title I will probably fall into Tier 2 or Tier 3. With the changes in spec. ed, Title I will also be affected. Good luck in your decisions.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net