ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Classroom to Title I
View Single Post

Susan/IN

Response to intervention (RTI)
Old 04-06-2007, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'll see if I can at least get you started thinking about RTI. We have only had an introductory session in our school, although I heard some talk about it at our regional Title I meetings a few weeks ago.

When Congress reauthorized IDEA, they changed the law about identifying children with specific learning disabilities. (If you want to know more, try googling Wright's Law - I think). RTI springs from the 3 tier program which begins in Gen. Ed and ends in spec. ed. From what I can gather in the little bit I've been introduced to, the face of spec. ed. is going to really change. Right now, I think most schools, when dealing with a child who is having a lot of problems, refer the student for testing for spec. ed. The three tier model has staff working continuously on meeting, revising teaching, and implementing a variety of interventions. From what my principal has explained to me, we won't be referring children until all avenues have been exhausted. When a school can prove that many interventions have been tried and still the child is having difficulty, then a child should be referred.

The 3 tier model (this is mainly for language arts) begins with 90 minutes of whole class instruction. This could, and should, include a whole class lesson, literacy work stations and small group instruction, then coming back together for whole class. Those children who are still struggling will get an additional 30 minutes of instruction (perhaps additional work with an IA, Title I, peer tutoring, etc). The key is that it is in ADDITION to the 90 minutes of instruction in language arts with the classroom teacher. If a child is still struggling and not making adequate progress, then they move to tier 3 which is an additional 30 minutes. These children would in all likelihood be your spec. ed. children, or perhaps children awaiting testing. Your pupil assistance team meanwhile, continues to come together to discuss interventions being tried, and constantly modifying instruction. So a child in tier 3 should be getting 150 minutes instruction in language arts.

As I said, this is still fairly new to me. Some states have not yet mandated these changes, although it is my understanding it will be coming to all states.

I hope this helps. Try googling "response to intervention" and 3 tier program for more information.

Susan

Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net