ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Writer's Notebook
View Single Post

FlyinSquirl

Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my first year using writing notebooks in class. I'm currently teaching third grade. During the first week of school, I gave each of the students a little flip memo book--called a jot book--and had them just collect ideas for writing. We would read books in class and then discuss what were some ideas they could write about. I allow the students to keep these at their desks so they can add an idea whenever they come up with one. This helps give the students independence because they do not rely on me to give them prompts/ideas.

During the second week of school we discussed the difference between a writing notebook and a diary. From there I try to give them short amounts of time throughout the day and week to write in their notebooks. Because this is a place for them to practice writing, the main feedback I give them is 1. Are you writing a story? 2. Have you given me good details? and 3. Have you practiced editing?

I address the above three questions using a rubric (quantity, quality, attempted editing) in my weekly evaluations of their notebooks. The rubric helps keep me focused on the fact that this is a place for practice.

I've had some students write lists of things or one sentence stories. When this happens, I just redirect them.
FlyinSquirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net