ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Worried
Thread: Worried
View Single Post

newbie17

Worried
Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a 4th grade pull out teacher with big concerns about a set of twins I have in my class. They are socially immature and each has exactly 1 friend, outside of their twin. They don't play together much at recess, mostly sticking with the one friend. They receive mental health services, but are still lacking in social skills and they talk about death and some violence. They'll say things like "I hate myself" or "I'll just kill myself" or "everyone hates me". I report everything to their counselor as soon as it happens. The family is very involved and they have a good home life, no concerns of abuse or anything. I work hard to create a safe and loving environment for them and it's worked...they adore me and would spend all day in my classroom if I could let them. I know I've managed to build them up some this year. There has been major progress in terms of more confidence and less anxiety since last year but I just have a strong feeling one of them will do something to harm themselves at some point. I just don't know what do to. I'm a teacher, I'm not a trained mental health professional, but these kids are textbook suicide risks. Is there anything else I can do aside from continue building their confidence and reporting anything out of the ordinary to their counselor?

newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net