ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New to 4th after 27 years of only UPK-1...Please help!
View Single Post

chalkdusty

Old 06-08-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Take a deep breath. It will be ok. I loved 4th grade and spent 21 years there.

You will still use picture books. Great for mentor sentences to study grammar and for read alouds for all reading strategies. Polacco and Van Allsburg were my favorites.

Kate DiCamillo and Kathryn Applegate are favorite authors for this age level. I've used the novel Because of Winn-Dixie for almost 20 years. My students loved The One and Only Ivan and Crenshaw.

Math - the students must know the basic multiplication facts in order to be successful this year. Many incoming 4ths do not know them or forgot them over summer break. Plan on spending some time daily reviewing those facts from day 1. You've got lots of multiplication, long division, and fraction work that will be much easier for the students if they know those facts.

Students this age have a good sense of humor and are not too preteenish with boyfriend/girlfriend thoughts yet. They need help with organizational skills. They like to help out and love getting stickers on their behavior charts.

I'm not going to lie to you. Since it's a tested grade level, it is stressful staying on top of standards and teaching to the depth required for the state test. Find your state's released test items and look at them early in the year. Use them as a guide for what will be expected of your students and try to frame your questions using the same vocabulary.

I know change can be unsettling especially when you have not asked for the change, but it can be just the thing to rejuvenate you. I wish you peace and joy in your new adventure in 4th.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net