ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How worrisome is this?
View Single Post

Youthcantknow

How worrisome is this?
Old 09-23-2020, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hope you don't mind me popping in to visit you, K teachers. I've got some serious concerns as grandma and nowhere else to ask. DGD is 5 1/2 years old. She didn't go to daycare but went to public school preschool last year until schools closed in March. She was never interested in drawing, writing, or coloring. Now in K she
*cannot draw any representational pictures
*does not color in the lines
*does not color more than one color on a page, which means that she doesn't color different parts of picture
*cannot write letters or numbers, including her name
*traces letters and numbers out of order - in other words, she traces over lines but not in the order that would allow her to reproduce those letters or numbers independently
She also doesn't read any words by sight, although she does know her letters and sounds (thank you, LeapFrog!).

I know this is quite delayed but is this very unusual during this COVID year? Or are you seeing other children who are this far behind? Her public school is virtual, so even if her parents request testing I can't imagine how she could get services. How do I help her parents help her learn to write?

Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net