ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How worrisome is this?
View Single Post

Sbkangas5

Old 09-23-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

She sounds like many of the kids I have come to me, even in a "normal" year. I would not be concerned yet, and I wouldn't see her as delayed. You said she has never been interested - to me that says a lot. Is she able to follow directions? Listen to a story? Does she ask and answer questions? How is her vocabulary and speaking ability? If she's interested in a task, how long does she attend to it? Can she transition from activities, even when she's not ready?

I would not worry about letters and coloring and tracing, but I would work on fine motor skills. Pinching, squeezing, using glue bottles and hole punches, playing with tiny toys that need put together and pulled apart, making bracelets and necklaces, using scissors, kneading playdough and clay - all of those things will help with the writing and tracing. And once she's interested in letters and numbers, start with fun things like writing in chalk on the sidewalk, or painting them with water on the house, drawing them in sand or making them with playdough.

Writing will come, but it will come slower this year than in a normal year. And it's definitely the hardest thing for parents to help with!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net