ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Won't leave area to take a break
View Single Post

kindygirl

making choices
Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i have a child in my room this year who is bipolar/adhd and very difficult to handle. he often does the same kind of thing. i have found that giving him choices works best for him. for instance, if he were at the carpet and making noises or interrupting i might ask him to leave the carpet. if he refused to go i would tell him that he was making a choice. if he chooses to stay at the carpet then he will have to listen quietly to the lesson. if he continues to interrupt and will not leave the carpet i would tell him that he is making the choice to repeat the lesson during recess. then i ignore him. i continue the lesson and ignore the behavior. but then at recess i would remind him that he chose to repeat the lesson and would have him come back to the carpet while the other kids go outside and do the lesson all over with him.

same thing with rest time. if he refuses to rest at the appropriate time i would tell him "if you don't want to rest now that's up to you. you can continue fooling around. you can make that choice. but if you make that choice then you will have to rest while the other children are playing." then walk away from him and let him make the choice.

same thing with buddy teacher. if he refuses to go tell him that is his choice. he can stay in the room and not go with the buddy teacher. but tell him that if he makes that choice then he will have to go with the buddy teacher when the other kids go to lunch, or out to recess because he has to go with the buddy teacher at some time during the day. then walk away from him and let him make the choice.

this has really worked well for me with the kids in my room. they seem to like the idea of "having a choice" (even though one of the choice stinks :>) and it also helps to walk away and let them make the decision on their own. i think it makes them feel as though they have some control over the situation. when they make the right choice i tell them quietly that i think they made a good choice and i think they will be happy about that.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net