ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Test scores are in...ugh
View Single Post

NJ Teacher

That stinks...
Old 05-09-2019, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hate all the emphasis being placed on test scores, which should just be seen as a snapshot of performances on any given day. We also are not miracle workers, and many times, the kids are not invested in doing their best on the test no matter what we try to do to motivate them. I had kids who claimed they were done after 15 minutes last year, claimed they checked their work, and their was nothing I could do except let them exit the test screen.

It also is disheartening how oblivious your principal is to your student population in your class, and how he could go from praising you for being a great teacher, to one who needs a buddy to support you. Shame on him.

This whole optic of evaluating students and teachers by over-emphasis on data and testing makes me so glad I retired. I hope you can reflect and celebrate your successes. Sometimes, just making it through the year with a tough class and little support is success enough. I am so glad that I never saw the scores on my last class, including the student who finished so quickly.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net