ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Absent student work
View Single Post

MiddlingAZ

Elbow Partners
Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids sit in pairs, plus each teacher has a web site with a homework calendar updated daily, so those are the focus of my plan. Elbow partners are chosen carefully (by me) and trained to keep each other on track (silently) as well as report and handle absences. When I hand something out, I pass down extra copies for any absent partners. They write their partners' names on the sheets (or collect graded work handed back) and place the papers in the ABSENT folder taped to the homework board by the door (the papers are sticking up so the names can be seen When absent students return, they check the folder and can get information from their partner or me.

Also, they are supposed to check the online calendar (minimally effective) where I post what we did in class and the homework with descriptions. If it's a handout I have in Word, they can contact me and I will send it in an email. Every day aftre I update it, I print out a copy of the calendar (only the assignment titles are visible, not the descriptions, which they click on for a pop up) and post it next to the absent folder. Maybe a regular calendar would work for this. When kids see "Paragraph Draft" or something which didn't involve a handout, they need to follow up with their partners, me, or look at the details online.

Despite this, absentees make me tear my hair out! I wrote in my syllabus: "YES, you did miss something when you were gone" (and are responsible for missed work). But I still hear it I really like ATeachH's form and could have partners fill it out and put it in the folder with handouts. THX!
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net