ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Should I stay with teaching?
View Single Post

broomrider

You might get a sample
Old 08-27-2019, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

of teaching community college by seeking to teach an evening class. That way you still have your regular income and a chance to try out something new. You might also want to check out how many full time instructors are hired into the ed department at your local college. The vast majority of especially community college teachers are part time. Many teach part time at different colleges trying to assemble a living wage.

I taught community college classes years ago. The students ranged from 8th grade graduates to master's degrees in my evening classes (Child Growth and Development). The college offered English classes that began with a semester of writing a sentence, leading to writing a paragraph, then to writing an essay. Some of my students were highly literate, others not so much.

I wrote study guides for each textbook chapter, gave lectures on how to find the important points in a text, how to take notes during a lecture, and so on. Even the M.A. people found some study information they didn't know in what I presented in parts of our first few meetings.

My point is that some of your college students may well be at the level of skill and motivation of your current students. Others will be much more skilled. Teaching adults is an adjustment, but rewarding. It just may not provide a livable salary, although some instructors do find full time positions.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net