ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Working in partners
View Single Post

short_bread

Working in partners
Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Its the time of uear where I am starting to get my students working in partners more and more frequently. This is particularly true in math class, because our curriculum (growing with math) calls for SO many manipulatives to be pulled. We are talking, pull 40 cubes for each child, which is a lot. So i have them work in pairs. The problem is, they don't seem to comprehend what that means...

The other day during math I had rainbow tiles pulled out for them and they were supposed to create ONE pattern with their partner. Yet many of them just started doing their own thing and then complained that they did not have enough tiles!!!

This time of year is tough (I'm sure you will agree) and my students seem to be listening less and less. Do I need to model what it looks like with a partner in order for them to understand what they need to do?

One of my teammates just makes partners and has one kid be partner 1 and the other partner 2. She gives very explicit directions. Perhaps this is what I should do.

What is your advice? I never thought I would have to model something so basic... but given where my students are coming from and what they are dealing with, I suspect that could be part of it.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

KP.

short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net