ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Reading coach and guided reading
View Single Post

myoung

Reading coach and guided reading
Old 08-09-2011, 02:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm at a new school and new grade (3rd). Every year, my grade (there are 6 of us) has a reading coach assigned to us daily for a 45 min. chunk. In the past, the reading coach has decided what she will do/who she will pull for her 45 min in this inclusion classroom setting. This year, we're (classroom teachers) driving the car, so to speak. She wants to continue with a 45 minute small group with whoever is the low group this week (our admin. wants us to use flexible reading groups based on formative assessments re: that week's skill/strategy focus...which I've done before, so I'm ok with). I cannot imagine having a 45 min. daily small group session with just one group! My question is...what do you all do(that have this luxury, I know) or what WOULD you do with a reading coach in your room during reading instruction every day for 45 min.? I use Daily 5, so I'm planning on authentic literacy activities happening during my SG time and I really don't want my low group to miss 2 whole rounds of daily 5! But, I need some kind of alternate plan to put before my team. Please share your thoughts/experiences

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net