ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - State Certification For Sub Teachers
View Single Post

Lakeside

Old 08-16-2019, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
...A B.A. or B.S. is the only requirement for subbing in NYC. What do you say?
It works for me! I sub (same rule in MA) with a B.S. in Mathematics. I've always enjoyed working with children, and did take some education electives in college, but I'm not a certified teacher.

I subbed a little right after college (working for a temp agency at the same time) but then working in banking for several years. I left to be a stay-at-home-mom for several more years, and then got into subbing for the flexibility when my son was in elementary school.

It's been the perfect job for me, and judging by my reputation in the schools I work for, I do think I'm good at it. I'm not one of those subs who sees it as babysitting. - I do a lot of reading to keep up with things and make myself a better teacher, and I've had a lot of education-related experience on a smaller scale (volunteer work with children, teaching CCD, etc.)

If every sub had to be a certified teacher, I think we'd run into one of two problems. - Either there wouldn't be enough subs available, because we'd lose the ones who pick it up very part-time, or school budgets would suffer because we'd have to pay certified subs more due to the investment on their part.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net