ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - State Certification For Sub Teachers
View Single Post

Lakeside

answers
Old 08-17-2019, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
You have a math degree but are not state certified. Please explain. You have a math degree but work as a sub. Explain.
What is there that I didn't already explain? I studied math because I liked it. I worked for years in mutual fund banking - used the math a lot. Then I left work to raise my child. (I know I was very fortunate to be able to do that!) I started subbing when I wanted a part-time job that was on the same schedule (no day care expense) and would keep my brain active.

When you said "certified" I read that as an actual teaching degree - a Masters in Education, which is what my full-time colleagues have. I did not want to put in the time or money to get that because I only wanted to work part time.

I love subbing because:
I can work with different age groups and never get bored.
I can take any day(s) off I need or want.
Work (planning/correcting) does't follow me home and cut into family time.
I don't have to deal with parents, or high-pressure state testing data.
If a particular class is too much, I don't have to go back!

Quote:
By state certification I mean taking exams to show competency and basic knowledge of reading, writing and math not so much teaching credentials.
I wouldn't have minded that at all (unless the cost was prohibitive) but how does a B.S. degree not already show that?

Quote:
Of course, those required to be state certified should be paid accordingly.
I would love it if good subs could make more, but again, I don't think most districts can afford it.

Please...tell us a little bit about yourself too!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net