ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - State Certification For Sub Teachers
View Single Post

Lakeside

Old 08-18-2019, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
Well, I know in California, all teachers, paras, subs, and anyone who worksaround children must undergo a fingerprint clearance. In our district, all parent volunteers and field trip chaperones need to be fingerprinted, too.
We have both CORI and fingerprint requirements for subs here in MA as well. (I don't think the parent volunteers have to do fingerprints, but they do have to do CORIs.)

Quote:
I have spoken to many sub teachers. It is sad to say that most of the subs I spoke could not solve a simple fraction problem, write a complete sentence or find the main idea in a reading passage. I am talking about sub teachers that graduated from college, CUNY schools in particular.
Sorry you've run into subs who weren't qualified. I really haven't seen much of that here - but we get a lot of young teachers looking for permanent jobs, so maybe we're spoiled.

The question remains, though - how would we fund this test? If the potential subs have to shell out money to get started, many of them won't apply, and I doubt the school districts have the money to pay for it either.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net