ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - The difference...?
View Single Post

MaineSub

The littles...
Old 06-04-2017, 01:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

He's not had grade school experience... but I once had a principal "act out" the responses to seeing her by age groups. It was hysterical. For the littles she jumped up and down and yelled, "Mrs. O! Mrs. O!" As she progressed through the ages there was less and less enthusiasm... by the time she got to high school it was barely a shoulder shrug.

I see the same thing. The little guys think I'm really cool. I suspect the older kids do, but they don't show it--particularly when they're in a group. As Mooba1 said, though, one-on-one can be awesome with the older kids. Just yesterday at a school activity I had a high schooler share that her sister had attempted suicide last weekend. No one else at school (teachers/staff) knew about it. I think it was based on our history and the fact that I saw her alone and started a conversation.

I do lots with K-6, very little with high school. When I do work at the high school I feel like the kids are reasonable in class. There may be some good-natured joking and "tricks," but no serious management issues. I think part of the challenge for them is to figure out how to relate to different adults. Because I know most of them, it's easier for them?
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net