ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How are your IEP meetings structured?
View Single Post

Haley23

How are your IEP meetings structured?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are getting a lot of pressure to be more "innovative" with the meetings. They don't want us to beat parents over the head with how low their child is. We've traditionally just gone through the IEP and explained each section. We try to be as positive as possible, but I do think it's also important for the parent to get a realistic picture of where their child is. We aren't allowed to modify grades for students with learning disabilities, so I don't want the parent to leave our meeting thinking the child is doing great because we only said positive things, and then get a report card with all 1's on it.

I don't want to become one of those "old" teachers that isn't willing to try new things, but I kind of like the way we already do it. I just feel uneasy about handing the parent a 20 page document without really explaining any of it (and TBH, it makes me feel like writing the 20 page IEP is a waste of my time). I feel like the majority of our meetings go very well and parents do leave happy.

Also, at my last school I was a gen ed teacher and the sped team had IEP meetings that to me felt just like rambling conversations about the child. They didn't talk about any of the IEP sections at all. I wondered if perhaps this was more comfortable for people who weren't all that familiar with IEPs. I'd get an IEP in my box a week later with a ton of accommodations I was responsible for that weren't discussed with me beforehand.

Our school psych just led an initial meeting that our director attended (long story), so she felt like she had to try the "new way." She sent home the eval report for the parent to read, and then in the meeting asked the parent if they had any questions and we didn't go over it/explain it at all. What if the parent doesn't know what to ask? What if they think they understand it but don't really? We then spent the bulk of the meeting making a chart that highlighted the students strengths and how they could be used to help him. Our director absolutely raved about it. I hated it!

So, what do you think? Is there anything "innovative" that you like in your meetings? Do you think parents don't really care about what's in the IEP and are happier to just have a conversation about their child?

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net