ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How are your IEP meetings structured?
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the replies. I can understand that as students get older, parents might just feel like they're hearing the same things over and over again. Since I'm K-3, we do a lot of initials, so the majority of my students are new to sped or have only been in for a year or two.

We always start with strengths and do say a positive first for each section. Even if I have to go back 47 steps to find something the child actually can do, I always start with that. For example, "Johnny has mastered all of his letter sounds. His next step is to begin blending sounds together to read words," even if Johnny is in 3rd grade and supposed to be reading 100 wpm at that time. I don't ask teachers to bring work samples or go over every test they got a 10% on or anything like that (unless the work sample is going to show something positive or I'm dealing with parents who just aren't "getting it.") I do always state the grade level expectation to though. I just feel like it's dishonest to only focus on the positive things, and I don't like not explaining every section (we're told to skip sections that don't really apply to that child, like "special factors" or ESY). It takes 30 seconds to explain what the section means and why it doesn't apply to that child!

I wonder if we could at least give parents the option when they come in for meetings. Something like, "This IEP is a legal document. Would you prefer for us to go over each IEP section in detail, or would you prefer us to have a conversation about Johnny's strengths and needs and just send the IEP document home for you to read?"
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net