ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Why are subs so insecure about this process?
View Single Post

dietcoke99

I think I deserve to be insecure, and is o.k.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
they had to justify having done something in the classroom environment, when the sub was in full charge of the class. The process was the second guessing and looking for feedback, when the sub was hired to make the executive decisions for the day.
I apologize, Yaya, b/c I apparently responded the most current post, instead of the original post, but that is probably pretty obvious.

I didn't think of this earlier, but I'll try not to bore you guys with this and make it short. 2 years ago I had to quit teaching due to illness that almost killed me.

This was very difficult as I was told that I would probably never have my own class again.

It was offered to me to go on permanent disability. I turned this down as I said that I did not want to lay on the couch and eat bon bons for the rest of my life.

I said that I WANTED to work (I was excited and even prepared for this year as a sub with business cards, etc.)

I am determined to work as long as I can and with all of the doctor appts, treatments, etc. that go along with that, subbing is about all I can do - and also b/c education is all I know since I've been in it my entire life.

I'm sure that I'm one of the "insecure" people spoken of, because a lot of the time, I am. It may not show at school, but I am. My teaching experience has not helped me much in subbing, but in this regard, it has. It has helped me appear more confident as I am comfortable in the classroom, etc. In fact, in some cases I think my experience, however, has actually hurt me because I know too much.

I almost assuredly would make more money on disability; however, I don't want to take the "easy" way out, as stated here and just "quit."

I'm sure that I'm not the only one here in a similar situation (though maybe not this extreme).

My strong suggestion is to not assume that you know everything in a particular situation and post negatively, because I assure you that you do not.

I've taken the advice of someone on here that "no news is good news," and that has served me well and changed my attitude towards feedback. So earlier posts aren't accurate today, but since you are new, you probably didn't know that [like I said, you don't know everything].

If you don't want to run your eyeballs over somebody else's post, then don't - nobody here is making you. Go to a different thread/post and don't comment negatively and act like you know everything, because you don't, and you certainly aren't helping anything.

I have learned a great deal on this list, and it has almost assuredly helped me keep myself going this year (barely! ) as I wade the waters of subbing for the first time (I've just come back to work this year).

Subbing is a TOTALLY different job than teaching.

I'm pretty sure that I, and others around me who know what is going on, will know when I will need to quit, but that hasn't happened, yet.

In the meantime I don't need this negativity because, unless it is my insecurity showing , the things mentioned were things that I have posted about, and probably geared towards me, et. al.

I certainly know that I'm not perfect on here, but at least I try and I don't post like I used to - I suggest that you do the same.

Last edited by dietcoke99; 11-27-2018 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: added [stupid?] quote
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net