ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Oh, what a first day it was!!!
View Single Post

mooba1

Old 05-22-2019, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Personally, I'd rather be shot at dawn than set foot in a kindergarten classroom, but that's just me. You'll soon discover where your strengths are and what age group you're most effective with. Also, this:
Quote:
Part of what happens is you get better with experience... so it does get easier.
Funny you mention kinder. After I retired, I lost my mind and decided my first sub job would be a half day in kinder, just to see if I liked it. Nightmare. Only the Sped aides were helpful. I could've written your post, and I was always known for having good classroom management skills. Some of the other teachers glared at me instead of helping me get the little darlings into the cafeteria for lunch. One teacher even allowed her 4th or 5th graders to plow through my group. Of course, she shot me the death glare as if it was my fault.

I put that school in my rear view mirror, and went on to do a three day job in third grade. Ahhhh....SO much better!

Whew, your post must've hit a nerve! Please don't judge the subbing experience on this one day. Try some different grade levels, and know that even those of us who've taught for a hundred years still occasionally have a bad day. The good news is that you don't have to go back to a bad school or a bad class. It does get easier with experience, and as you get to know the schools and the kids. Good luck on your next subbing adventure!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net