ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Self contained classrooms
View Single Post

musicmeg222

Self contained classrooms
Old 06-21-2019, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

I will be teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students with intellectual disabilities in a self contained classroom for the upcoming school year. I have been attending various trainings through the district that have been helpful but are not focused exactly on the self contained classroom setting. I will be attending a training next week for self contained teachers but am looking for more help.

I do not have access to the IEPs of the students on my caseload yet. I know those will be helpful but I could use more guidance. I have to figure out how to modify or briefly change information I've learned in trainings so it applies to my students abilities and levels. As a new teacher, this seems difficult for me. I also need to plan lessons and have ideas of activities that students are able to do.

Right now, I am taking teaching classes as part of my post degree certificate program and just covered a chapter on intellectual disabilities. I have learned that students with ID have difficulty with common everyday tasks such as counting money and making purchases. While eating breakfast earlier today, I was brainstorming ideas and thought about having a student store. I dont know exactly how it will work or if I will use this idea or not, but I thought that students could earn play money and at the end of the week, make purchases for items to use in the classroom or small incentives they could keep. I'm not very creative so I'm not sure what other activities such as this one I could create in the classroom that would help them with daily living.

School starts, for teachers, in about 4 1/2 weeks and I feel that I have alot to still learn to be prepared. Can anyone give me any tips, suggestions, dos and don'ts, opinions, or good luck that I could use? I want to create a warm, welcoming, fun learning environment for these students but I need help!

Thanks in advance!

musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net