ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Self contained classrooms
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 06-21-2019, 11:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You really the information that SDT was talking about before you can start planning anything. I'd try to ask those questions at the upcoming self-contained training. IMO there is no way these students are "mild" if they're in a self-contained setting. It's possible they're classified as "moderate," but in a self-contained setting I'd imagine that "moderate" is leaning a lot more towards significant needs.

It's different everywhere so you really just need to ask. Here, only students with significant needs are self-contained. We have different levels within that- at the school that houses those programs, one room is for students who are non-verbal and unable to do basic tasks like feeding and toileting and the other room is for students that can do all of those things with some supports, but they still have significant needs compared to the mild/moderate population. We do have a specific "moderate needs" program, but it's nowhere near self-contained. The students spend most of their day in gen ed with a lot of push-in and some pull-out support.

Are you in CA? That's the only state that I've heard of that has something called a "special day class" that's kind of a self-contained deal for kids with mild/moderate needs. That would just never be done here or anywhere else I've heard of.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net