ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Self contained classrooms
View Single Post

GoodEnough85

The most important thing is to be flexible
Old 06-25-2019, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I too am the self contained EBD teacher at my school. Like a PP, I have some that are with me all day (truly SC) and some that move in between me and the other SpEd teachers and maybe 1 or 2 gen ed with support (so all SpEd most of the day but with different rooms.)

I think it is great that you are thinking ahead. You may not know the details of your students yet but there is still a lot you can pre-plan.

You can look at your routines, procedures, and consequences. You can set up how you "plan to plan." If you are using a paper plan book, a binder, an online program or some combination or that, get it ready. Make a master calendar ready to load the important dates into...IEP/eval due dates, school days off, even birthdays for your caseload/paras/etc.

Plan out "extras" for your students at any level. Trust me that lessons will rarely take the time you have planned--some will be so short and some take twice or three times what you hoped. It never hurts to have some generic tasks on hand that work on many levels--be it task boxes, "chores," math facts practice, handwriting practice, or whatever...

Task boxes can take a while to set up but they are so worth it in the end. Even the very low, especially the very low??, need to have some successes they can complete independently. If you run the lesson short and have remaining time, task box time... If the lesson for this group runs long and the other groups need something to do, task box time...

I will confess that it is HARD to set up enough activities for all of the students all of the time ! This is especially true if you are juggling multiple ability levels, age levels and disabilities all at the same time. It also depends on the quality, experience and work ethic of your paras (if you have them...)

Good luck.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net