ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Including Students In Electives
View Single Post
New2Sped

New2Sped

Including Students In Electives
Old 08-13-2019, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,

I stumbled upon ProTeacher while Googling and thought this may be a safe place to ask questions and seek out some suggestions. I am a first year Special Education teacher, with a self-contained classroom, and my students are classified as severe/profound. I am having some difficulty with my kiddos being included in electives (music, art, p.e., etc.) with their peers. Can anyone share their experiences with this?

I currently have my total of 7 students split (group of 3 and group of 4) between my 2 paraprofessionals to attend these elective classes. Some challenges that have come up are:

1. Only 1 para means 1 set of hands. If a single student is requiring the full attention of the para, the other 2-3 students are left to experience the elective class without assistance during that time.

2. The elective teachers seem frustrated about adapting their activities and management style to accommodate my students.

3. My students are completely ignored, at times, or are unable to participate in activities because there is no alternative prepared.

4. All of the class must attend electives at the same time in order for me to have a planning period, as I do not have a designated time for one.

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions offered!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net