ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - "Crazy Hair Day" Nearly Drove *Me* Crazy!
View Single Post

Elise82

"Crazy Hair Day" Nearly Drove *Me* Crazy!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

(FYI I'm the poster formerly known as "tchr" - changed my user name!)

On Thursday, I subbed in 5th grade and it was "Crazy Hair Day" for the school. Kids had crazy hairdos such as weird hair colorings, boys with pigtails - you get the picture. Well, several of the kids (not just in my class) had brought those aerosol cans of spray-on hair coloring to school, and a couple of the girls in my class took a can out after the first bell, and were going to spray one of the girls right there! I told them not to spray it in class, but I let them go to the restroom to do it as the 2nd bell had not rung yet. They were gone several minutes, and then I sent another girl in after them to tell them they had to come back right now. (I also had to stop two other girls - not from my class - from spraying it inside the classroom or hallway, also.) After lunch recess, one little boy who had had blue stipes in his hair already, lined up with blue vertical stripes on either side of his face! I asked him why he had stripes on his face, and he told me that a girl had sprayed his hair and "missed" (yeah, right). I told him I did not think that the spray coloring was good for his skin, and thought he should wash it off.

What were parents thinking, letting kids bring the cans to school? (Maybe some of them snuck the cans out of the house.) When I was student teaching, the 3rd grade classes had a "Market Day" in which they bought and sold goods and services using the school currency. One of the services was a boy-run "Hair Dying Salon". But those kids used the hair dye gel, and the booth was closely monitored. Isn't the aerosol hair coloring kind of unhealthy for kids? (I admit I really know next to nothing about such things.)

I am not opposed to kids having such "special days"; however, why couldn't they have planned this on a half day, or at least on one of the early dismissal Wednesdays (all Weds are early dismissal in this district)? Of course, the kids were pretty wound up on this day, even more than they would be normally on the last day before a *4-day* weekend (no school on Friday - teacher workshop day.) It was quite disruptive. Also, it seems like all of the "special days" like this that were once celebrated only in high school (and maybe middle school/jr. high) have now trickled down into the elementary school. There isn't going to be anything novel to celebrate once they reach high school - except for maybe "Senior Skip Day".

Anyone else have similar experiences with these kinds of "special days"?

Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net