ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Frustrated with Student Teaching
View Single Post
Taffy241

Taffy241

Frustrated with Student Teaching
Old 04-30-2019, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, this is my first year student teaching, and the first year my cooperating teacher has had a student teacher. My cooperating teacher is an excellent teacher, and the students love her, but I have some concerns all the same, so I'll take any advice I can get.

First of all I feel like she's afraid of letting me take the wheel so to speak. My first time teaching a lesson to the class was my student observation. The second and third time were when substitutes came into the classroom. For the most part I was working with students one on one and observing. I feel like I haven't been able to practice working with students as a group. I've mostly been observing, which is basically the same thing that I did as a volunteer the year prior.

Another concern of mine is evaluations. I thought my last observation went very well. My CT and my University Observer both told me that I did well, with only a few suggestions for improvement. My observer even said I did better than most students did for their first semester student teaching. Yet when I looked at the Evaluations, I mainly received twos and ones, with four being the highest possible score.

On top of all of this, I have a lot of mental health issues, including PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I also have ADHD (unmedicated). I am currently in the process of getting treatment, but I feel overwhelmed. I have been undecided whether informing my cooperating teacher would help me or hurt me in that regard.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net