ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Reading questions on state test
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my home state, it used to be that reading the question and answer choices was an option for kids with IEPs. When I moved to this state, it was no longer an option. I frankly was glad. I had kids that were dyslexic but would be smart enough to "game" the test that way (i.e.- if they didn't know a word in the passage, ask me to read them the same word in the question, etc. ) I honestly feel like if that were an option here, I'd be pressured into spending my entire time teaching kids how to game the test vs. actually teaching them how to read. We're always in trouble over our sped cohort scores for state testing .

In my home state, they've now taken away that option as well, but certain students can get the entire test read to them. It's supposed to be a "unique accommodation" that is only given to a very small percentage of students. My dad works in a wealthy "blue ribbon" school, and they've decided that every kid with an IEP below the 10th percentile in DIBELS gets that. So his kids pass it easily because it's just listening comprehension.

His parents actually don't like it- they get upset that the test says their child is proficient or advanced when they know full well they aren't. The parents often feel like they had to advocate to get an IEP in the first place and they're afraid proficient/advanced state test scores will be used as a reason to take their child off of the IEP.

I also was at a PD once where the presenter was basically bashing sped teachers and how everything we currently do is wrong, and he used an example of some district where the sped kids were actually outperforming the gen ed kids on state testing. And so many people in the room were dumb enough to be like, "Wow, they must be doing something great there!" No, think about it for a second. How is one qualifying for an IEP (which includes massively failing a standardized assessment that is way easier than state testing) and then outperforming gen ed peers on state assessments? I bet anything they are those kids getting everything read to them, and the data is being massively misinterpreted.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net