ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 50% Instead of Zero?
View Single Post

nyteacher29

What I try and do
Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I try and maintain strong parent contact. If a student has a 0 and it is hurting their grade, especially to the point of failure, I reach out and make sure the parent is aware. If the child still does not have something in, it is a 0. (I teach 7th grade for what it is worth). I send home monthly progress sheets and parents have access to my grade book so they can see what grades their child is earning. If a student fails a test and usually scores high 90s, I will conference and see what is going on. As Lakeside mentioned, did something traumatic or eventful happen that day or week?

I cannot help but wonder if the author of the article reached out to the parents or sought advice from the guidance counselor. Was there something preventing the student from completing the work at home? We are also encouraged, however, to not fail a student during the 1st marking period as it may result n the student giving up. The lowest grade we can give on a report card is a 50% but I try and round that up to a 60% so the child still can redeem hims/herself.
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net