ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Big brother is watching you
View Single Post

MaineSub

Old 09-18-2020, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

There have already been cases of parents objecting to something a teacher did while teaching remotely. In one case, the parent recorded the teacher.

It's a brave new world.

But in some respects, it's not THAT much different. Kids were sneaking phones into class and recording unaware teachers long before COVID.

We have to be smarter and more careful but I don't think we have to be paranoid. As many have commented, most parents aren't "out to get us." But that doesn't mean there aren't a few who will leverage it to their advantage.

There have been some interesting discussions on the flip side of this. What if parents didn't want their home environment being broadcast? These cameras and learning platforms go both ways. Most admins I've talked with use phrases like "moving targets" and the honest ones admit there are a lot of unknowns. If there's a political poster behind one of your remote students, what do you do? (I use a virtual background both for privacy and to keep things "sanitized.") It may be a case of knowing what we don't know.

When we think about "best practices" at school, the question becomes how we transfer those to the remote classrooms. I'll be the first to admit, it isn't always easy or obvious.

One thing we do know is that we are in a position of public trust. That doesn't change when we go remote... it just gets a lot more difficult in many respects and maybe easier in others.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net