ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - For those in CA
Thread: For those in CA
View Single Post

northcalsub

Texas Substitutes
Old 04-25-2020, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my district Ive taught in as a substitute for over 30 years plus, we, a small group in the early 2000, worked to form a union. Our union is with the CWA. It was a long process, with many meetings. It resulted in a pay raise $12.00. I would say that took 3 years working to get our district to give use that raise. The raise we asked for, was after having no pay raise in in 15 years. I spoke on behalf of our group at the school board meeting. I basicaly told them that we mad as much as kids and In N Out Burger. Those kids were serving burgers, and they had benefits. It finally came to the point where we were going to strike. That worked in our favor . In the last 3 years we have gotten a raise that now is double what that first raise was. It is a battle, but there are talented people who can help. It has not been a perfect system, but having a union behind you with any problems that occur, can help alot. I know several people who have had to call them in for situations they were accused of. I really fell that Texas does not deserve their substitutes.
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net