ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Tutoring a Reluctant Child
View Single Post

Ima Teacher

Tutoring a Reluctant Child
Old 06-23-2020, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have agreed to tutor a high school sophomore in English, especially writing, this summer. Our goal is twice-weekly sessions until he finishes his credit recovery class. (He failed English during the distance learning.) I had this child in middle school, and he did some tutoring with me then and again this last year. Heís smart. Heís a good kid. He hates writing. He gets overwhelmed. Breaking things into small pieces works, so I help him write an outline piece by piece. We have gotten through several pieces this way.

Today he didnít log in for the session. He didnít email me the assignment to look over ahead of time. His mom could not get him to engage for the session. We are going to try again on Thursday.

Iím not sure what we need to do to get him to buy into getting this done. Honestly, he might do better in the in-person credit recovery this fall. If he doesnít pass the class, he wonít have enough credits to be a junior, and that will also keep him from being able to take the vocational classes that he wants.

His mom and I have tried to think this through, but we are stuck. Any suggestions?

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net