ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Just hired...school starts tomorrow!!!!
View Single Post

mrsb12247

Social Studies...
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 7th grade US history, but this could be easily adapted:

1, My first activity with my 7th graders is to have them choose a word (either America or History)
2. They have 5 minutes to individually write down as many words as they can think of that relate to the word they chose.
3. Then, I put them in groups of 3-4, matching them with other people who chose the same word as them.
4. As a group, they then have to a make a "concept poster" with their word as the main focus, and all of the words related to it surroudning it, ullustatrions, etc. They have to chosoe their "top three" words and write about why those are the top three on the back.
5. If there is time, I have them share their poster and report out about their "top three".

Instant classroom decor (I hang them all up ) and also it gives them a chance to get to know people in the class, gives me a chance to see who my real history buffs are, and gives us a starting place for our first min-unit: What is Social Studies?

Hope that helped!
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net