ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What are you best place value lessons?
View Single Post

123rabbit

Race to 100 or 1000
Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I start my 1st graders playing race to 100. 1 gameboard divided into 3 sections- ones with a ten frame, tens place and a hundreds place....students take turns rolling 1 dice ...add small construction paper squares to start filling the 10 frame when they get enough they trade for a ten stick construction paper. Then keep going till they finally make a 100 and trade for a bigger square construction paper

2nd semester we now race to the hundreds building numbers like 342 till we get to 1000

I keep the manipulatives simple...ideas cut foam sheets into little sqares for1s... 10s rods for tens and bigger sqares for 100s. ...construction paper can also be used...one year I used tiny pom pom balls for 1s bigger ones for 10s and bigger sparkle ones for hundreds...

This game is perfect for adding...counting numbers....making tens ...and place value....

One variation is race to a dollar by using pennies...dimes and a dollar to reinforce money...
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net