ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Advice needed, changing grades...
View Single Post

3boys:)

Advice needed, changing grades...
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am having a rough year. I am a 21 year veteran teacher who has taught 3 and 5. I taught 3rd for 11 years (with one year in 1st in the middle of those) and am in my 9th year of teaching 5th. I loved 3rd and never thought I would want to teach another grade until I was moved to 5th. And until this year it has been wonderful. Now I am burnt out. I teach all subjects and in FL that means I am responsible for writing, ELA, math and science standardized tests. Thatís always been fine until this year when the kids have become so unmotivated and downright disrespectful.

I have decided I need a break from the testing. I have two choices. One is a 6th grade science position at a local middle school. Plus side-one prep, 50 minute classes and no 6th grade science test. Con-I would have these kids AGAIN next year, plus all the ones from the other elementary schools (who sound like they are not any better behaved).

My second choice is 2nd grade at a different elementary school with completely different demographics. Kids struggle academically, but they try really hard and are respectful. Plus side-no standardized tests!! Con-standard based report card, have kids all day, they are young and immature. I havenít taught a younger grade in a long time!
What are your thoughts? Has anyone ever moved down to 2nd from an upper grade? How was it? Or up to a middle school from elementary?

3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net