ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Advice needed, changing grades...
View Single Post

kahluablast

Old 05-09-2019, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you burned out on the planning or the behaviors? Think hard about that. You sound like you are pretty flexible so either level might work for you.

With the 2nd there is going to be a LOT of time put into learning the curriculum and standards and teaching resources. You will probably have demands for interventions, taking kids to SAT, teaching small groups, planning for at least 4-5 subjects and the grading that goes with. Making resources to use to enrich the curriculum, games, etc.

Never having taught middle school, teaching one subject (is it really one subject?) or will you get a last minute switch and have to do "health?" Having a plan once a day sounds awesome, but I imagine a lot of grading either way. Same class can mean same plans, but if one class is an advanced science class then planning would be different. Our middle school has an intervention time that all teachers and students do where teachers do things like study skills, problem solving and things like that. Our school also isn't big enough for a teacher to teach the same subject all day, so most have at least 2 things to prep.

You are going to deal with behaviors in each one. Personally, I don't find 2nd too needy. They are between the needy and independent level. You can coddle them (can't wait to see the kids from our coddly teacher) or you don't. I think there is a fine line to walk there. Tattling, being left out, not working well with others - those should be the biggest behaviors. Middle school - maybe some of the same on a larger scale, plus the hormones and the attitude. Which will be easier?

Good luck with your decision.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net