ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Charter School question
View Single Post

WordFountain

Wow
Old 05-15-2019, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Just wow... thatís a very strange question. I agree with PPs that itís not a charter vs. public school issue but socio-economic, environmental, etc issue.

Not to highjsck the thread but Iíd like to clear something up: I work at a charter school and have for many years. Itís a common misconception that we ďcherry pickĒ the best students. That has not been my experience. We are a public school of choice and as long as a parent fills out the application & thereís an available slot - that student is accepted. Additionally, even though we have a Parent/Student Covenant & school Code of Conduct it doesnít mean we can dismiss students from our school if they donít comply. If anything itís the opposite. We have to do more with less money/resources and must be renewed every 5 years or risk being closed. This means being audited by the state complete with classroom observations in addition to many other components.

The question posed originally seems to antagonize educators - making it charter vs public.. when instead shouldnít we as educators all strive for the best education we can give students?
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net