ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - No zero grade policy
View Single Post

redhead38

No zero grade policy
Old 01-05-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've posted about this before but can't quite get over it. I just read in the news about a teacher refusing to not give a 50 for work not turned in and she was fired. The school policy was to not give anything below a 50, but the district claimed it had no policy even though it is stated in the handbook. Other teachers I have spoken with state that they have made peace with it but I still have issues giving a student a "59" for a test that they put their name on and turned back in. Our policy is anything under a 49 gets pushed up to a 59. So yes, the student who doesn't ever do anything gets a 59 along with the student who struggles and also gets a 59, but has at least attempted. Yes it is still failing but the parent sees that they are 1 point from a D so therefore they are doing ok. I realize this is a losing battle as we continue to follow these policies. So basically a 50 is the new 0. Again, I am just venting about this but I also know I am the one being held responsible when these kids are still making 1's and 2's on the end of year tests.

redhead38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net