ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - No zero grade policy
View Single Post

southernfried

Old 01-05-2019, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Noooooppe. Nope nope nope. My school "loosely" has a no-zero policy and I "loosely" don't follow it. There's no written rule, but my principal is very against zeroes. However, in the context of my classroom (flipped class, mastery based, kids know exactly what's expected and have all quarter to do it, work can be turned in until the last day of the quarter for full credit...), zeroes just plain make sense. It's come up in conversation before and I've explained how and why I give zeros, and her response has been "well that's different, but most of the time...". So I've taken that as permission to continue my current policy. I don't bring it up or advertise it to other teachers.

I DO agree with not giving a zero to a kid who genuinely tried. I DO agree with not giving a homework assignment Monday, making it due Tuesday, and then giving a zero with no chance to turn it in late or change the grade. I DO agree with not giving a kid a 26% as their final quarter grade - because there's no way to come back from that. But putting a 50 in the gradebook for an assignment a student never even attempted is straight up LYING. And I'm not okay with that.

I do what feels most honest and fair to me: I put zeroes in for assignments kids straight up didn't do. At the end of the quarter, I override the final grade to a 58% if it's lower than that (60 is passing). I usually have 6-10 out of 90ish kids fail per quarter. VERY rarely (like maybe once every other year) does a kid fail every quarter. Usually, they have at least one quarter where they get their act together enough to earn a D, and even one quarter with a mid-range D is enough to let them pass for the year. And even if they don't, their state test score is 20% of their overall grade, and even if they do poorly, with the way it's curved it's still usually enough to squeak them out a passing average overall.
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net