ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - State & Capitals
View Single Post

Lionpaws

We learn them in 5th grade
Old 09-23-2015, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It is part of our 5th grade curriculum, and I think it's extremely important for them to know. It's appalling how ignorant people are of our country and where the states are actually located. I am originally from Iowa and now living in Florida, and it never ceases to amaze me how many people think I'm from Ohio or Idaho and have no idea where Iowa even is.

My 5th graders have to memorize the capital of each state. I divide the country into four regions and cover one region each quarter. At the end of each region, they are quizzed using a blank map projected onto the smart board. Each state is numbered and they write the number on a piece of notebook paper and write the capital and the state. By second quarter, the quiz covers region #1 and #2. By 3rd quarter, they have to do all three regions, and by the end of the year, the quiz is over all 50 states. I don't require perfect spelling, but it does have to be phonetic.

We use the book Yo Sacramento and it is a hoot. They love it! Each state has a goofy illustration to help them memorize the capital and state. I put it on the camera and we look it over. I usually do 2-3 states per week. Each new week, we review the previous week's illustrations to keep everything fresh. Florida has a Tall Lassie standing on a Floor of Dots. Tallahassee, Florida.
Lionpaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net