ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Can Title Teach Work with Student on an IEP?
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There's no law, but all of the schools I've worked in haven't allowed it. Since so many kids were high needs, they wanted to save the title services for kids who weren't getting anything else rather than allowing students with IEPs to "double dip." I wish my students could get title (I'm a sped teacher). It's frustrating to me because of course my students are in title services when they go through the RtI process to get identified for sped in the first place. In many situations, the student's title group is smaller, more matched to their needs, has less behavior issues, and/or meets for more time than the sped group they move into when they get an IEP. Title has more flexibility since they're only teaching reading and they're allowed to say no to new students. I'm sure my students would be much more successful if we could actually add on more services in sped rather than simply replacing title services with sped services when kids get identified. That said, I do understand the argument from title/gen ed teachers to not allow students to "double dip" when we do have so many high needs students. Over 50% of our population is significantly below grade level, so it doesn't seem fair to have some kids getting both while so many kids can't get anything since we're all stretched so thin.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net