ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Student rights
Thread: Student rights
View Single Post

pinacolada

Student rights
Old 10-18-2020, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

**I asked this on the busy board but I thought it may be a good idea to post it here too.

Hello. I was a regular ed teacher for about 10 years. I resigned in 2016 after my son was diagnosed with Autism. Right now, he is in a Mild/Moderate SDC TK-K class (SDC is the term used in CA for a full day SPED class). The class has 2 aides and then the SPED teacher.

We started school on August 13 and his teacher still isn't assigning any work based on IEP goals. She also isn't providing small group instruction either.

This is the daily schedule:
1st 30 min zoom session: calendar, weather, go over rule of the week, a song about letter sounds, and if time permits a read aloud.

Then she assigns 3-4 independent work activities which the parents help their child complete and upload onto Google Classroom.

During the last zoom session, she divides the class into groups of 3 (so they are split between the teacher and aides), and the students just go over their COMPLETED work (kind of like a show and tell of what they did).

My questions/concerns are:

Isn't she required by law to provide small group instruction?

Isn't she required by law to provide activities based on IEP goals?

Another concern is that she doesn't really teach. She just assigns these whole class assignments and the parents basically teach them.

For example, this week she assigned a number booklet which has the student write the number using the numeral form, word form, tallies, tens frame, dot pattern, and 2 number sentences.

None of the parents (except for me) knew what a number sentence is and how to teach it. This is just an example of how she never teaches.

I've a little unsure of what to expect since I've been out of the teaching scene. What are my child's rights? Are they different during COVID? I've spoken with the teacher and the principal. Nothing has changed.

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net