ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Bear On The Shelf
View Single Post

MsNobody

Bear On The Shelf
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! I wrote earlier about my struggles to manage the behavior of classrooms full of children. I came up with a solution that works for the grades I am subbing in (pre-K through 2nd) and I thought some people might like it.

I thought of this idea last night. Have you ever heard of Elf On The Shelf? Some teachers keep one in their classrooms around Christmas time, so he can report back to Santa. I borrowed that idea and brought a stuffed bear to my subbing job today. (It was a kindergarten class.) At calendar time, I introduced them to Bear On The Shelf. I told them that the bear watches everything the children do and has a great memory, and that at the end of the day he writes a note to their teacher about how their day went.

Some of their kids had their doubts about this, but didn't want to take their chances! Other kids truly believed I had a magic bear. One student even asked the bear to tie his shoe laces for him!

I could just as easily tell the students that I will be writing a note to their teacher or reporting to their teacher about how their day went... but I found that when I give that responsibility to the bear, the kids care more about what he will say!

I'm going to continue bringing my Bear On The Shelf with me, and see if it continues to have good results.

MsNobody is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net