ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Hallway behavior!!
View Single Post

Eydie

First graders
Old 08-30-2006, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught first grade for fourteen years ( I have second grade this year!) I know you hate to be tough on them this early in the year but those kids sound like they are taking advantage of you or they just don't think the expectations are higher now than they were in Kinder. I had an especially tough group last year and I had to carry a note card with me every time I left the room. When I spoke to them for ANY hallway manners the first time I wrote their name on the card. ( I had to remind so many that I would forget who I had already talked to!) If they acted up again for any reason then they had to turn their card when we got back to the room. Instead of waiting until recess to serve the time out, I let the others go on into enrichment and the ones who misbehaved put their nose on the wall outside of where ever we went and did their time immediately. ( They hated this especially at lunch because it put them at the end of the lunch line)Yes, it took minutes away from my break as I stood there with them but after just a few days the class was much better as a whole. The few who still had problems after that I called their parents and let them know their little darling was having trouble adjusting to the rules of first grade and that if it continued they would be assigned after school detention or recieve an office referral. By the end of the first six weeks even the "problem kids" were no longer acting up. Usually if you can get a grip on the minor offenders the major ones will eventually conform because there is no longer anyone to act up with.

By the way, I also assigned a number order where I seperated the worst of the bunch, and we lined up that way everytime.
Eydie is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net